Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Why am I proud to be a Malaysian?

I actually got this title from someone who wrote in to Malaysiakini and thought it to be a very apt title in light of the recent 52nd independence day and other happenings in the country.

I think every Malaysian should ask themselves this at one point or another.

Personally, the main reason I am proud to be a Malaysian is the cliche saying of muhibbah. The love of my life is Indian. My best buddy is a Malay. My drinking kaki's are Chinese. We all get along just fine.

However, recently there have been events that have rattled my faith in the country. From power grabbing politicians, to corrupt officials to misinformed groups of a community. The main gripe I have with all these things is that it happened/happens so openly, and unless you're from a certain political party or religion...it just goes unnoticed or a big hoo haa is done and then its buried in page 24 of the papers.

I know I just posted about the severed cow head protest but even more unbelieveable than what they did is the fact that our HOME MINISTER is defending them. He said that "“they just wanted their voices to be heard”, "“However it was unfortunate that the protest was given negative publicity because it was linked to religious and racial sentiments,” he said.

With all due respect, how idiotic can one get? What would have happened if the roles were reversed ? A group of Indians marched with a pig's head ? I got ten bucks saying they wouldnt have gotten more than 100 feet without being arrested immediately.

Not only are they "having discussions" on this matter, a Minister is defending their actions.

I urge anyone who reads this to sign these petitions : Petition 1 and Petition 2

A fair and progressive country ? Far from it....

No comments:

Post a Comment